
I actually got this idea from a friend of mine. In fact, I'm posting it word for word of what she said in her blog, as I think it is so fitting to what we are trying to accomplish with our family (plus, she says it so eloquently, which is something I usually have a difficult time doing). Here is what Amy had to say (with a few pictures that I added):
"Every year, I look for a good way to celebrate Easter. I also try to find a balance between the Easter Bunny and the real reason we celebrate. The interesting thing is, we start celebrating and remembering Christmas almost as soon as the leaves start to turn red and gold, but Easter is sometimes an after thought of things thrown together a day or two before.
This year I wanted a way to tell the story of Christ’s final days. I want us to remember His life, death and resurrection. I want Easter to be as memorable and important to my family as Christmas. I want to have a reflective and gentle spirit in my home during the days leading up to Easter.
In his Christmas message in 2000, President Gordon B. Hinckley made it clear that Easter really is the more important of the two holidays: “There would be no Christmas if there had not been Easter. The baby Jesus of Bethlehem would be but another baby without the redeeming Christ of Gethsemane and Calvary, and the triumphant fact of the Resurrection.”
It is with that quote in mind that I came up with my newest Easter tradition.
Spending a Week with Jesus.
Here is a chronology of the the final days of our Savior’s life. As a family, we will follow His final days by holding a small devotional (scripture reading, song singing, etc) each day. Our first day will be this Saturday.
Friday or Saturday: The anointing described by John (John 12:1–11)
Palm Sunday: Triumphal Entry; cleansing of the temple (Matthew 21:1–17; Mark: 11:1–11; Luke 19:28–46; John 12:12–19)
Monday: Cursing of the fig tree; cleansing of the temple in Mark;teaching in the temple (Matthew 21:18–22:14; Mark 11:12–19; Luke
19:47–20:18; John 12:20–36)
Tuesday: Lessons from the fig tree; more teachings in theOlivet Discourse (Matthew 22:15–25:46; Mark 11:20–13:37; Luke
20:19–21:38; John 12:37–50)
Wednesday: Plot to kill Jesus; the anointing described by Mark andMatthew; Judas agrees to betray Jesus (Matthew 26:1–16; Mark 14:1–11;
Luke 22:1–6)
Thursday: The Last Supper; Gethsemane; betrayal and arrest; Jesusbefore the Jewish authorities (Matthew 26:17–26:75; Mark 14:12–72; Luke
22:7–71; John 13:1–18:27) (I couldn't decide which picture to use for this one, so I chose both).

Good Friday: Jesus in the hands of the Romans; the Crucifixion; theburial (Matthew 27:1–61; Mark 15:1–47; Luke 23:1–56; John 18:28–19:42)
Saturday: Jesus in the Spirit World (Matthew 27:62–66; 3 Nephi 9–10; 1 Peter 3:18–4:6; D&C 138
Easter Sunday: The Resurrection (Matthew 28:1–15; Mark 16:1–14; Luke 24:1–49; John 20:1–23"
This year, instead of doing an egg hunt the day before Easter, we are taking the kids to the community Easter Egg Hunt this Saturday, which I think they will really enjoy. Plus, the Easter Bunny will still bring their baskets to them the Saturday (day before) Easter.
I just want them to understand the importance of Easter and how much the Atonement means in their lives. (By the way, I was asked yesterday to speak on Easter Sunday on the Atonement). I'm really looking forward to this week and hoping that with this, my kids will learn the importance of getting along and helping to bring a better spirit into our home.
2 comments:
I love the pictures you added Sara! Thank you!
That's such a good idea. I think we'll try and do this. Thanks for passing this along.
Post a Comment