I guess for this entry I am supposed to choose a topic from these pages. As I read the list, I realized that my last entry kind of did that, but not quite. I read the questions and thought about question number 3, about the positive effects of television.
I do have a hard time just plopping my kids down in front of the television, though this usually happens on a daily basis. The reason it does is because I work from home, and I need my kids to be occupied while I work. Of course, they don’t always just sit and watch the television. Sometimes it is on and they are casually watching it, sometimes playing while it is on.
I am thankful, though for the television. There isn’t one particular program that my kids watch that is positive, there are several. Their favorite ones to watch are Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Dora the Explorer, Go, Diego, Go and the Backyardigans. I like Mickey Mouse because it helps them with colors, shapes and counting. Dora and Diego help the kids learn Spanish. The Backyardigans helps them learn how to use their imaginations, and I see evidence of this when they are playing outside.
I think the show I like the most for them to watch, and one that they really enjoy, is Little Einsteins. This show helps them learn through classical music and art. They learn about different composers and artists.
My 4-year-old son was sitting at the table one time during breakfast. I had been working and I could hear something going on. I went in to check on him and I could hear him singing. He was singing “done, done, done, done” to the tune of Beethoven’s fifth symphony. He learned that from watching the Little Einstein’s. He also knows different musical terms that will help him when he is old enough to take piano lessons.
I know that too much television isn’t good, but there is nothing wrong with kids watching wholesome programs, of which there is an abundance if you know where to look.
No comments:
Post a Comment