Monday, March 1, 2010

First Run

Ok, I'm really wondering what I got myself into. I knew I was out of shape. Not exercising after 5 kids will do that to you. But wow! It was harder than I thought it would be. I've never been a runner, so this is all new to me. I started out walking for 5 mins, then started the program, which is run for 1 min, walk for 1 min, do this 10 times. The first minute that I ran, I thought I was going to die. Then, to my surprise, it got easier the more I did it. It is also a good time to reflect on things going on in your life. I walked/ran 1.847 miles in 30 mins. Not good enough for the 5k, but I didn't expect it to be. I thought I actually did pretty good for my first time. I had planned on doing my regular workouts inbetween by running days, but I think I'm going to hold off on that for a couple of weeks, until I get used to this running. I also now know where all the dogs are located in our neighborhood. Another thing I noticed that I hadn't notice before, the other side of our neighborhood (it's one big block, kind of like a football field) is a hill, whereas our street is flat.

One I thing I would recommend, if you've never run before, don't try it in 39 degree weather (32 windchill). I was fine at the end, but at the beginning my lungs felt like they were burning. Overall, I enjoyed it and am actually, suprisingly, looking forward to Wednesday when I get to run again.

For now, I'm going to take my kids to the library for Dr. Seuss night, so they can meet the Cat in the Hat.

No comments: