Friday, March 5, 2010

My Friend Lisa

Today marks the one year anniversary of the passing away of a dear friend of mine. I met Lisa Ellett back in 1993 in Whittier, California. It was not until 1994 when I started to really get to know her and she became one of my dearest friends. We went to dances together all the time, always listening to The Judds or John Michael Montgomery on the way. I have many memories of the times that she, Michele, Lucy and I would just hang out at her house, go to dances or activities, and just had fun together.


Lisa, Lucy and Michele at Lucy's Wedding

She taught me how to sign the main line from "I Love the Way You Love Me" by John Michael Montgomery. It was from her that I got the idea on how to tell my mom whenever I finally met that special someone and that I was engaged (which didn't happen for a few years after that). She said I should just play the song "Mama He's Crazy" by The Judd's. So that is what I did.

Jen and Lisa New Year's Eve 1998
















In the summer of 1995, when a friend of ours was getting married in San Diego, she and I drove down in her Miata to see them when they came out of the temple. We were both going on this big group date that evening. We wanted to look good for our dates, so we decided we would be "smart" and drive with the top down on her car so we could get a tan. Of course, not thinking, neither of us wore any sunscreen and by the time we got back (after 4 hours in the car with the roof down), we were burned. So badly, that we both had a difficult time that night on our dates. It was so much fun though, that I would do the same thing again (though probably use sunscreen).

Lisa and I at a big group date in December 1995 singing for the guys.


She always made me laugh and was a great friend, even when I wasn't. I moved away in December 1995 and it was then that I lost contact with her until just last year when we reconnected on Facebook, though she always remained in my thoughts and has always been a dear friend to me.

I miss her, but know that she is happy where she is and is probably up there dancing and making everyone laugh just like she did here. In memory of her, I put on my playlist the songs that she and I listened to the most when driving in her car. The first 15 songs are dedicated to her.
(Thanks Jen and Lucy for the pictures)

2 comments:

The Nay Family said...

I loved that post, Sara. Very nice. Can't believe it's been a year already. Thank you for doing this...It brought back some really good memories for me!

la princesa said...

Thanks, Jen. I'm really hoping that Frank had a chance to see it, too. I, too, have a hard time believing it's been a year. Thanks again for the picture.