Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Read and respond to an article

The first article that I read was about a message in a bottle that washed up on shore after more than 20 years. I read the article and realized I didn’t really have much to say about it. So, I chose another article. Here is the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23781322/from/RSS/ I’m so used to reading articles about all of the terrible things that go on in this world and how mean people are to one another. It was very refreshing to see that kindness still exists in this world and that people truly do care about one another, no matter what the media may say.
In this article, they spoke about the struggles that this man is going through being so tall. He has measured at 8 feet 5 inches tall, quite a bit taller than my 5 feet 8 inch frame. He has to stoop in his home, doesn’t have a car to ride in and even had to quit his job. I sometimes think about how hard my life is, then I read about someone else’s and realize I was just being a whiner and that I really don’t have it all that bad. My life is actually pretty good.
There were many gifts that were given to this man to help him in his everyday living. People didn’t give him money, which I’m sure he could have used. Instead, the gifts they gave came from the heart and were ones he really needed. These are the things listed in the article that he received: Outsized clothing, running water to his home, a giant bicycle and a new car. Other things he has received are a new computer connected to the internet, a fitness machine and a cell phone, which when you look at it in his large hands, looks like a little toy. What is neat about this man is his outlook on life. He hasn’t let his large size bring him down. He just kept up the hope that someday, his life and the life of his loved ones would get better, and they have. His village will now have gas, something they have waited a long time for and something that we take for granted. He doesn’t even have a store in his village, but now with having a bike and a car, he will be able to get to a store in another village and provide better for his mother and sister.
We need more people in this world like him, people who keep a positive outlook on life no matter what the circumstances may bring. Maybe someday, his dream will come true and he will find someone to be happy with, just as I am so happy with my husband.

No comments: