Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Reflect on course objectives

Well, as I read the objectives for the class, I'm not sure if I have met very many of them so far. I do feel like my writing has improved and that I am getting better at communicating my thoughts and feelings to the reader than when I first started. One thing I am focusing more on now is my thesis. I tend to ramble on and have a hard time figuring out what my thesis is and then getting it to work with the rest of my paper. I do feel, however, that I am getting better at making my paragraphs blend and flow better than they did before I started this class. Another thing that I want to work on during this second half of the class is learning how to properly document my sources in the correct format. That is something that I have always struggled with. I do feel that I am rather good at stating my opinion, though not always in a way that would make a great paper. I would like to learn how to state my opinion and still have the facts to back me up. I do know how to edit my original drafts, though not always correctly. I tend to make many corrections before I'm happy with the draft I would like to send in. Another area that I would like to work on is learning how to take someone else's words and writing it in my own words, which is why I used so many quotes in my last paper. It's not a strong suit of mine.
Overall, I think that I have improved a great deal from when this class first started. I am grateful that you put into words what the objectives of this class are so that each of us students has the opportunity to improve and to grow as writers, even though we are not striving to be "professional" writers. I know that with taking this class, it is helping me in a way that when my kids are in school and needing help, I can actually give them the help they are going to need.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Good comments...think of that thesis as your point of view or opinion on the subject.