Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Funny things kids say

Ok, so I'm a slacker when it comes to blogging. Things are just crazy right now and it seems like they are just going to get even crazier. This past weekend, we went to the funeral for my husband's grandfather. Though it was a very solemn occasion, at the same time it was really fun spending time with his family. I really enjoy the times when we are all together, and this time was just as much fun if not more as we were able to spend time with his cousins as well.

The funeral was on Saturday. We tried to make sure that the kids kept themselves well-groomed for this occasion, especially Derek. Mike made sure to remind him not to mess up his hair. After the funeral was all over, we were in our hotel room preparing to go to dinner. It was a casual event, so they didn't need to be dressed up. While we were waiting for Mike, Derek and I had a conversation that went like this:

Derek: Can I mess up my hair now?

Me: Sure, go ahead.

Me: Why do you want to mess up your hair?

Derek: 'Cause I'm just a boy!"

I was laughing so hard I almost couldn't stop. I love it when kids speak their mind and aren't afraid to say what they are thinking, even if it makes us whince.

I was very proud of my kids. Other than Derek being curious at the gravesite and climbing on the grave (just the outer rim of it), my kids behaved very well. They never complained on the way there or back, even though it was a very looooonnnng drive. It took us 19 hours to get there, and then 18 hours to get back. On the way there, it poured rain almost the entire way and then we hit snow. It was the kind of rain where you can't hardly see in front of your car. On the way back, it was sunny and clear the entire way, though it was realllyyy cold. I was glad we only had to stop for potty breaks and the drive through for one meal. They somehow kept themselves busy on the way up, though I think they did sleep a lot. They also slept a lot on the way back, except this time we pulled out the DVD player and they watched a few movies. They were even well-behaved in the hotel, not running up and down the halls a lot (there were a few instances, but not as many as I had expected). Overall, it was a successful trip as far as the kids are concerned. I'm looking forward to our next family vacation. And also our many trips to Bartlesville, I want to play 3-13 again. Maybe this time I can do better.

No comments: